A jury is now deliberating a decision in the case of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer charged with murdering George Floyd in May 2020. Its decision will come as our country grapples with new officer-involved fatal shootings.
Many on our campus, already experiencing exhaustion, grief and frustration over race-related injustices and killings, have been traumatized by the trial and will be affected whatever the jury decides. The recent surge in mass shootings has further increased anxiety, anger, stress and sorrow. We encourage everyone on our campus to be mindful of the impact these events may have on our students, on one another, and on ourselves. The University of Utah stands with those who call for social justice and equity. We are committed to actions and research aimed at ending hatred and systemic racism. We aspire to be a community that fosters safety, inclusivity, and equity.
Please make use of the counseling and support services available across our campus for students, staff and faculty, if needed, leading up to and following the jury decision in the Chauvin case, as listed below. We are stronger together, and especially when we care for and support one another.
- American Indian Resource Center: 801-581-7019
- Black Cultural Center: 801-213-1441
- Center for Disability and Access: 801-581-5020 or email@example.com
- Center for Ethnic Student Affairs (CESA): 801-581-8151
- Center for Student Wellness: (victim-survivor advocates, bystander intervention training): 801-581-7776
- Dream Center: 801-213-3697
- Employee Assistance Program (staff): 801-587-9319 or 800-926-9619
- Housing and Residential Education: 801-587-2000 (available 24/7)
- Huntsman Mental Health Institute Utah Crisis Line (available 24/7): 1-800-273-8255
- Independent Review Committee: complaints about public safety personnel may be reported to the Independent Review Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Student & Scholar Services: 801-581-8876 or email@example.com
- LGBT Resource Center: 801-587-7973
- Office for Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Title IX: 801-581-8365
- Office of the Dean of Students: 801-581-7066
- Office of Inclusive Excellence: 801-587-7580
- SafeUT Frontline Crisis Text app
- University Counseling Center (students only): 801-581-6826
- Utah Warm Line: 833-773-2588 (SPEAKUT)
- Veterans Support Center: 801-587-7722 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women’s Resource Center: 801-581-8030