U Biologist Named Pew Scholar
Act now: USHIP (SendSuite Desktop) will be turned off permanently on June 30, 2016
AHA heart walk t-shirt design contest
What Dalai Lama ticket holders need to know
Pew awarded $240,000 over four years to Phadnis, an assistant professor who holds the Mario Capecchi endowed chair for biology.
“For more than 30 years, the Pew Charitable Trusts has proudly supported outstanding biomedical researchers at the start of their careers,” says Rebecca W. Rimel, the group’s president and CEO. “The members of this exemplary group join a community of scientists that they will learn with, and learn from, for the rest of their lives.”
Phadnis says his research “will enhance our understanding of the genetic warfare that can shape the evolution of species.”
He explains that components of an organism’s genome – or genetic blueprint – “cheat” so they can transmit themselves into future generations, even if it hurts the organism, which fights back by trying to suppress these cheating genome components. This constant battle can lead to the rapid evolution of important genes. When populations of the same species live in different geographic areas, the rapid changes in their genes can make once compatible populations of the same species evolve into two separate species.
A large part of Phadnis’ research focuses on studying these genetic battles “and showing that they are a key driver in the origins of new species,” he says.
Phadnis received a doctorate in evolutionary genetics in 2008 from the University of Rochester, and then completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle in 2013 before joining the Utah faculty.
In addition to facilitating FedEx and UPS shipping services, SendSuite Live offers a streamlined interface, incorporating U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and Express Mail (deliverable to P.O. boxes) services, as well as Certified Mail options (listed as ERR in the application).
The SendSuite Live shipping application allows campus users to shop UPS, FedEx and USPS in one single interface and ensures that users are getting the university’s contracted rates which, in some instances, can yield savings of up to 65 percent off retail rates.
SendSuite Desktop will be turned off permanently on June 30, 2016. Act now to avoid a disruption in service and get acquainted with SendSuite Live and its expanded capabilities.
Win a cash incentive and have your design on the UUHC T-shirts for the American Heart Association Heart Walk this year.
- AHA’s mission is to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke — the nation’s No. 1 and No. 5 killers. Think of creative ways to include their mission in your design.
- Every entry must be a digital file in jpg, png, pdf or eps file format. The resolution should not be less than 300 dpi.
- Each entry must be of ORIGINAL design and may not contain any photos and/or artwork that has been altered or modified. The entry must not infringe on the rights of any third party.
- Each entry is due by 11:59 p.m. Friday, June 24, 2016. Please submit your entry along with your name, phone number and email address to: Autumn Allen at email@example.com.
- Voting on the entries will take place at the team captains meeting on June 30.
- AHA Heart walk Team captains will vote to select the top five finalists.
- The top five entries will move to the final round and the UUHC Heart Walk Leadership will determine the first, second and third place winners on July 1.
- The first prize entrant will receive acknowledgement by UUHC|AHA Executive Leaders. Plus they will have their design on all of the UUHC Heart Walk T-shirts. If winner is a current employee they will receive a cash incentive of $100 to be added to their next paycheck (winner is responsible for taxes associated with prize). If winner is not a current employee you will receive a gift card or other form of prize equal to $100.
- The UUHC | AHA Heart Walk Contest Design a T-Shirt Contest is open to eligible participants who are registered for the 2016 AHA Heart & Stroke Walk. By participating in this contest, participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules of this contest. Taxes on prizes are solely the responsibility of the winner.
What You Need to Know
- Tickets are still available here
- Doors open at 11 a.m.
- Event begins at 1:30 p.m.
- Those with floor tickets must be in their seat by 1 p.m.
- Please arrive early to allow time for security lines
- All patrons must enter through magnetometers and have bags checked by security
- In accordance with federal security guidelines, no guns or weapons will be permitted in the venue
- For a complete list of prohibited items, click here
- It is recommended to leave personal belongings at home
- Outside food is not permitted in the venue
- Concessions and food vendors will be open inside the Huntsman Center
- Closed captioning will be on the video wall
- Parking will be available in all lots surrounding the Huntsman Center with free TRAX access between Rice-Eccles Stadium and the Huntsman Center (see map).
- Guests are encouraged to use TRAX
- For ticketing questions, please call the ticket office at 801-581-8849
- For ADA questions, please call Guest Services at 801-587-9047
A live stream will be available at utah.edu/live.