Graduate sooner with fall break intensive classes
UIT makes changes to manage UMail spam
Utah Red Zone Fan Cave Giveaway presented by America First Credit Union
MathWorks MATLAB Total Academic Headcount site license for U community
GRADUATE SOONER WITH FALL BREAK INTENSIVE CLASSES[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Short on credits for fall semester? It’s not too late to register for a fall break (Oct 10-14, 2016) intensive general education course. Courses are offered at the U’s Sandy Center and main campus and will be completed over the one-week period. This is a great option for students who need one more class for financial aid or scholarships, need a replacement class, or want to reduce class load throughout the rest of the semester. Register for a fall break intensive course and graduate sooner.
Course listings and more information can be found here.[/bs_col][/bs_row]
UIT MAKES CHANGES TO MANAGE UMAIL SPAM[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]As part of The University of Utah’s proactive stance on reducing the amount of email spam, we continue to implement best practices in security controls within the UMail environment. Accordingly, on Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 10:00 p.m. we removed off-campus access to less-secure means of sending/receiving UMail. This method is referred to as “Authenticated SMTP” in some email clients.
The vast majority of University UMail users are connecting to UMail through secure channels (HTTPS) and modern, industry-standard connectors. The small number of identified users of off-campus SMTP UMail have been identified and contacted directly and advised to change the way they send/receive email so that they don’t experience any UMail service disruption.
In the rare event that you or a colleague are affected by this change, other options are:
- Install Microsoft Outlook on your computer(s) via the U’s Microsoft Campus Agreement. Free for U-owned computers and for students; minimal cost for faculty/staff personal computers.
- Apple Mail/OSX iMail users: Apple Mail will continue to function as long as it is a current version properly configured as an Exchange account.
- Mobile devices (iOS and Android): Use Exchange Server ActiveSync (instructions in our Knowledge Base article)
- Send/receive UMail via the web-based Outlook Web Application, or OWA
- First connecting to the U’s virtual private network (VPN) in order to continue to send/receive UMail using your current settings (instructions in our Knowledge Base article)
For IT security reasons, the U currently does not support the Outlook mobile app for iOS/Android. Please do not try to use the mobile app to access UMail.
If you know of colleagues who received a direct email from UIT and are unsure why, or have any other questions, please call your local help desk or a central help desk:
- Main Campus: UIT Help Desk 801-581-4000 x1
- Hospitals and Clinics: ITS Service Desk 801-587-6000[/bs_col][/bs_row]
UTAH RED ZONE FAN CAVE GIVEAWAY PRESENTED BY AMERICA FIRST CREDIT UNION[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]Utah Red Zone and America First Credit Union are working together to give one lucky Utah Football fan the best seat in the house with the Utah Red Zone Fan Cave Giveaway. Utah Red Zone will make one fan’s living room have as much Utah pride as they do with a fully furnished and decorated fan cave for the perfect home and away game experience.
The Utah Red Zone Fan Cave Giveaway grand prize includes:
- Samsung 65″ Class 4K Ultra HD TV
- (2) Imperial University of Utah Recliners
- Blakeway framed Rice-Eccles stadium panorama
- Northwest Utah tapestry woven blanket
- Northwest Utah plush throw blanket
- Northwest Utah rug
- Legacy Utah vintage game poster artwork
- Legacy Utah wall-mount bottle opener
- Legacy Utah serving tray
- Paulson Designs Utah athletic logo canvas art
- Authentic Street Signs “Man Cave” sign
- Dahl large vinyl decal
and more Utah Red Zone merchandise.
Utah fans can enter to win the Utah Red Zone Fan Cave Giveaway by going to URedZone.com/FanCaveGiveaway. The lucky winner will be randomly selected at the conclusion of the Utah Football season.
For more information, call or visit Utah Red Zone or the University Campus Store.[/bs_col][/bs_row]
MATHWORKS MATLAB TOTAL ACADEMIC HEADCOUNT SITE LICENSE FOR U COMMUNITY[bs_row class=”row”][bs_col class=”col-sm-4″]
[bs_col class=”col-sm-8″]The University of Utah has negotiated and obtained a campus wide MathWorks MATLAB Total Academic Headcount site license for MATLAB, Simulink and 48 companion software products.
Access to the products will be available through the Office of Software License web store beginning Sept. 1, 2016, and the software is available to all students, faculty and staff for academic purposes, including academic research.
Information regarding this license, product pricing and the available products can be found here./bs_col][/bs_row]