CHEMICAL SPILL CLEAN-UP PROCEDURES
If you work with hazardous materials in a laboratory, it is essential to be prepared in the event of a chemical spill. Practice and be familiar with the following processes.
- Attend to anyone who may have been contaminated
- Notify occupants in the immediate area about the spill.
- Evacuate all nonessential personnel from the spill area.
- If the spilled material is flammable, turn off all ignition and heat sources; including magnetic stirrers.
- Avoid breathing vapors of the spilled material. If medically qualified and trained as required in the Respiratory Protection Program, use a respirator if necessary. Otherwise, evacuate and contact OEHS at 801-581-6590 or call University Police at 801-585-2677 after 5 p.m.
- Ensure that the fume hood(s) is on. If in a non-clinical care building, open windows where possible to increase exhaust ventilation.
- Secure cleanup supplies. Ensure protective apparel is resistant to the spill material.
- Confine or contain the spill to a small area and clean up according to your Chemical Hygiene Plan.
To register for the next Chemical Hygiene training, click here.
OEHS provides laboratory spill kits for purchase. To order a spill kit for your lab, click here.