Here are actions that all of us can do to minimize the spread of the flu in our university workplace:
- Take proper care of personal protective equipment, regularly replacing disposable equipment and properly cleaning and disinfecting reusable equipment.
- Wash your hands often. Use soap under water and rub hands together vigorously for up to 20 seconds.
- Cover your mouth and nose during coughing and sneezing or use a tissue and dispose of used tissues in a waste bin.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not use a coworker’s work tools, desk, phone or computer.
- Minimize the number of group meetings; instead, communicate through email or phone calls.
- When meetings are necessary, ensure the meeting space is properly ventilated and that workers are not required to be within six feet of one another.
- Limit unnecessary visitors in the workplace.
- Get a seasonal influenza vaccination.
OSHA offers additional recommendations for workers:
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid shaking hands. Always wash your hands after physical contact with others.
- If wearing gloves, wash your hands after removing them.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle. Get adequate rest, follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly to help maintain physical and emotional health.