Things you can do to minimize the spread of influenza (flu) in our university work places:
- Take proper care of personal protective equipment, regularly replacing disposable PPE, and properly cleaning and disinfecting reusable equipment.
- Wash your hands often: use soap under water and rub hands together vigorously for up to 20 seconds.
- Cover your mouth and nose during coughing and sneezing or use a tissue and dispose of used tissues in a waste can.
- Avoiding touching the eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not use co-worker’s work tools, desks, phones or computers.
- Minimize the number of group meetings; instead, communicate through email or phone calls.
- When meetings are necessary, ensure the meeting space is properly ventilated and that workers are not required to be within 6 feet of one another.
- Limit unnecessary visitors in the workplace.
- Get a seasonal influenza vaccination.
OSHA offers additional recommendations for workers:
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid shaking hands, and always wash your hands after physical contact with others.
- If wearing gloves, wash your hands after removing them.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle. Get adequate rest, follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly to help maintain physical and emotional health.