Help University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins welcome the new incoming class of students and their families to the University of Utah on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020. We are now accepting applications for the new student speaker.
Each year, students and their families are invited to the New Student Welcome to hear from Watkins, a current student speaker, faculty and the marching band. This will be a great opportunity to welcome your peers as well as get them excited about their decision to attend the U.
The student speaker chosen will also be invited to a lunch on April 20, 2020, with the faculty speaker, Watkins and Dan Reed, senior vice president for Academic Affairs.
Student speaker eligibility
- The student speaker must be an enthusiastic undergraduate student enrolled full time for the Fall 2020 Semester.
- The student speaker must be available one to two times per month from May through August to meet with the Office of Orientation & Transition for coaching and rehearsals.
- The student speech must be memorized and be accompanied by visuals.
- Applicants must submit either a one- to two-minute video or 250-500 word written statement introducing themselves and explaining why they should be the New Student Welcome speaker. Videos are highly encouraged. Feel free to explain what attracted you to the U and what you have enjoyed most about being a University of Utah student.
- In-person interviews for the student speaker will be held April 1-3, 2020.
- The deadline for applications is March 30, 2020.
Morgan Aguilarcommunications specialist, University of Utah Communications